Care about the environment, animals, art, or social justice? Want to help progressive nonprofits mobilize their supporters and maximize their reach and influence? Ginkgo Street Labs is hiring a full-time mid- to senior-level developer to leverage and enhance open source technologies to help nonprofit organizations and community organizers meet their goals.
Founded in 2009, Ginkgo Street Labs arose from a desire to empower agents for good with technology that increases their productivity while decreasing their reliance on vendors. After decades of working and volunteering in numerous high-impact nonprofit and advocacy organizations, we realized we could have a bigger impact by setting up our own shop. We're looking for candidates with similar backgrounds in nonprofit and advocacy—if your heart is in activism and you geek out on tech, we want to talk with you!
Ginkgo Street Labs emphasizes collaborative, open development. Test-driven development, code review, and peer programming result in better code, knowledge sharing, and a more reliable product. We work in a variety of technologies, but our focus is on CiviCRM and mobile.
In this position, you will:
- Gain exposure to leading open source CMS packages Drupal and Wordpress
- Perform quality assurance activities: specification, testing, logging issues
- Collaborate on internal projects to improve development operations
- Gain skills through professional development and collaboration with diverse nonprofits
- Develop collaboratively with and learn from experienced developers
- Participate in technology and nonprofit communities, attending conferences, trainings, and meetups
- Participate in new product and feature brainstorming and specification
Qualifications (most but not necessarily all of the following):
- Three years of professional programming experience
- Strong PHP skills
- Experience with a version control system like Git
- Experience with command line interfaces on Unix-like systems
- A hacker mentality - tell us about your mashups, your hacks, and things you've broken or patched together
- Work within or providing services to nonprofit organizations
- Understanding of CRM and its importance to an organization
Special consideration given to candidates with demonstrable experience in:
- Developing CiviCRM extensions
- Client-side MVC using a framework such as Angular, Backbone, Ember
- Building cross-platform apps using Cordova/PhoneGap or similar
- Integrating existing applications with third-party APIs
We value diversity of background, skills, interests, and perspectives. Women, people of color, and LGBTQA folks are encouraged to apply. Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org and include résumé, cover letter, desired salary, and a code sample or a link to your GitHub. In your cover lever, please tell us about yourself, not just your work experience. We want to know what drives you. What issues brought you to nonprofit, advocacy, and tech in the first place?
We want you to love working with us, and we want you to grow as an individual as we grow as a company. Ginkgo Street offers health insurance, flexible working arrangements, three weeks of vacation, and five days of sick leave, as well as paid professional development and traveling opportunities. Our office is located in an historic building (with a yard!) in Washington, D.C.'s Dupont Circle neighborhood, a short walk from Metro's red line and numerous bus lines.